Monday, April 18, 2011

O is for Orphans

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this:  to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."  James 1:27.
photo credit

From the 147 Million Orphans website:

Did you know there are hundreds of millions of children worldwide who have lost one or both parents.

Every 14 seconds an AIDS death leaves another child orphaned.
Approximately 88 million orphans live in Asia.
Approximately 45 million orphans live in Africa.

Approximately 14 million orphans live in Latin America & the Caribbean.

Approximately 1 million children live in public care in Central & Eastern Europe

More than 800,000 children pass through America’s foster care system each year.

These statistics do not even include the UNKNOWN children living orphaned both here and abroad that go uncounted, unnoticed and unloved.

147 million.  That number just baffles my mind.  I look at my four children and I think of them living on the streets alone with no one to love them, no one to care for them, no one. 

"He will reply. 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'  Matthew 25:45


I think about who will care for the 147 million.  God cares about each and everyone of these little ones. My heart just breaks for these children. 

147 Million Orphans talks about ways to help change the life of an orphan.  Take the time to check out the website to find out ways to help.  It is as easy as just praying or taking the leap to adopt a precious child of God.  You choose.

 
None of us are really truly orphans when we are the children of God.
God Bless



3 comments:

Jana said...

Amen. I work for Christian Life Ministries & we have 1,000 orphans in Kampala, Uganda.

Tobi@SimplyJesus said...

How awesome that you posted this today.. I just put up my Missionary Monday blog post and I featured Katie Davis from Amazima. I have wanted to get involved in Orphan Ministry for years.. thanks for the info and link to 147 Million Orphans. Have a blessed day!

Unknown said...

You have such a thoughtful, warm heart for kids in need.